Monday, August 24, 2009

Book Review: Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama

Dreams from My Father Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Getting to Know Obama, the Man
There is no way around expressing that this is a remarkably well-written memoir. Per the title, the author, Barack “Barry” Obama, tells not only his life story, but also focuses on the subject of race in America. He tells his personal history as well as the history of American’s race relations and understanding through the eyes of a biracial boy-turned man, coming of age in the late 20th Century.

Throughout his life, it’s apparent Obama has commanded attention through his intelligence, good nature, handsome being, and strong family background. This tale is as much about his Midwestern-born white mother and grandparents, “Gramps” and “Toot,” as it is about his biological Kenyan-born father. It’s still remarkable to comprehend that this narrator, given his roots, eventually becomes the elected 44th President of the United States.

I enjoyed listening to the narration of this story by the author. He unabashedly recalls both events and conversations of his youth, and without fear or tiresome, guarded political motivations. He expresses true accounts of his coming of age and the understanding of his heritage. And I particularly enjoyed Obama’s recollection of his journey to “Home Squared,” when he visited Kenya for the first time and related my own first visit to this fascinating country. Every American, black or white, can’t help but learn about the role of race plays in a community when traveling the streets of Nairobi or the red dirt roads of the Western Provence.

Please read (or listen to) this book. Love him or loathe him, at least get to know him. This book commands great respect and I give it my highest recommendation.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: